Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WTF?

So I saw this article yesterday. The first thing that came to my mind was a song from the Jerry Springer Opera. I can't quote it here, as it involves a couple swears.
So I read the first 3 bullets, Electronic boarding pass, that's convenient. Personal info? they have all that anyway on my passport, so I can live with that. Position tracking of myself and luggage? If it reduces lost luggage, they can likely get most of that info from my boarding and such, well that's nice.
Oh Wait. Taser? Shocking me and making me immobile. Wait. I don't like that. Or do I?
No. I don't.

Here is an article where they talk about Dog Collars that shock being cruelty to animals. Now, I've tried those dog collars out (long story) and the shock it administers is not very big. For a big dog, that likely surprises it and nothing more. That was considered cruelty to animals. Now let's take the same technology, up the shocking aspect to the point where it will immobilize a person, bingo! That's not inhumane, or cruel or anything!

If this comes into law, in the states, I am not flying there anymore. Hopefully I can get some cross ocean flights out of Canadian territory. I refuse to fly while being treated lower than a dog. I am shocked this is even being considered. Have humans in the United States lost all claims to any sort of rights?

Sorry for the op-ed, political piece. I just saw that article, and was PISSED off. If anything remote close to this starts it's way into Canadian Legislation, I'll update you all, and find resources to fight it.

2 comments:

Nolto said...

1. They probably won't shock you unless you are a terrorist (aka Brown).
2. You're "shocked" that this is even being considered? What an appropriate response.
3. Airline passengers are animals.

Toad008 said...

well, a couple big questions for me. Are they shocking by pointing a remote at you and hitting a button? do they have to enter your bracelets ID to make sure they are shocking the right person? How long do you figure it would take someone with a RFID or wifi receiver (or whatever they are using) to determine the "shock" command? In my opinion, this just gives the resourceful terrorists and easier way to subdue an airport full of people, or a plane full of people.

And I'm fine being an animal. That's what I expect when I'm flying. This bracelet sounds like something most dogs owners would get criminal charges for cruelty to animals... Shocking a dog to the point that it can't move has to be reasonably high voltage.

Which is another problem. How much of a shock is it? What immobilizes me may do nothing to a bigger, higher pain threshold person... What you need to stop a person like that would kill me. Which I'm not a fan of. Call me crazy, but I don't want a boarding pass that says Hell on it.

To me it just means is the implement this as a law, or on any airline, I won't use that airline. If it's country wide, I guess I'm not flying to that country. If it's here in Canada, well, I've wanted to move to Japan for awhile.