Monday, May 12, 2008

Movie Theater

I went to Iron Man this weekend. It was an awesome movie. But the entire movie experience was ruined by the Theater. I don't intend to go back. Ever. Through the entire movie, the bottom half of the screen was out of focus, and shaking. Text on the bottom of the screen was painful to read. There were times when it was making me nauseous. Oh top of that, I paid $10 each (with 3 other friends, that's $40) to get in, and can't get food because it's too expensive. So, for that amount of money, I can BUY the Blu-ray, watch it in my basement, where I know the projector is focused, and not shaking, Make whatever I want to eat, and drink whatever I want, while relaxing on extremely comfortable Bean Bag chairs.
To me, it's a no-brainer. The only improvement is I can see a movie in the Theater usually before it comes out on Blu-Ray. That said, the quality of Iron Man on the weekend I'd say was about as good as my projector looks upscaling a DVD. So I can download a DVD rip usually a couple weeks after it comes out in the theater. Save tons of money, enjoy it more, What's the selling feature?

My Corsica finally sold! So I'm getting a cheque that I wasn't budgeting for. Means more spending money at the end of the month when I'm going to Edmonton for Rush. I'm also intending to buy a new electric Bass guitar, but that was in the budget. Now I might get a couple more options I was somewhat sitting on the fence with. We'll see. I'm intending to get a kit, so I can assemble it myself, and customize it a little. Should be fun.

Other, and final, thing I want to discuss. I just recently finished a great book. It's called "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow. It's a book somewhat inspired by 1984 (the book not the year... I had to make that clarification with a roomie). It's about a terrorist attack and a teenager who gets wrongly accused and mistreated because he is assumed to be a terrorist. This leads him to essentially start up a rebellion. It's quite entertaining, I've been trying to promote it as much as I can. It's released on the Creative Commons license, so you can get a copy online, for free. (http://craphound.com/littlebrother/) One of my favourite features is the technology used in the book. It's all real technology. The website gives some explanations, and how-to's to use, or make, a lot of it. Highly recommended.

But back to work, Setting up a lot of tests today.

No comments: