Friday, August 8, 2008

Seatbelts

You should wear them. They protect you in the case of a major car accident.

They are also a kick ass band from Japan. Yoko Kanno is the Keyboard player, and main composer, but it's essentially a super group of Japanese musicians. I very highly recommend them to everyone. You can find some of their live shows on YouTube. I recommend starting with Tank! It's Jazzy, but they play the crowd and songs like Rock songs. Freaking awesome. I may or may not have spent the last 45 minutes here at work watching a whole bunch of videos. Blue is also a freaking amazing song.

I always find it interesting when I listen to Japanese music (or other locations as well) that they have so much English in their songs. Morning Musume is another example. They use English regularly. I understand that quite a few people there speak English, but in comparison, our second language is OFFICIALLY french, but I never hear any English Canadian songs that use French as well. American music is similar. I think I'll make it my goal to start writing music that uses more languages in it. Nolto(apologies now for the MySpace link, I died a little inside doing it. I don't think he has anything better for a site...), get on that. (The better site, and the Non-English verse). I want your next song to have at least a full verse in not-English. We took that intro to Japanese course for a reason! Also, you need to do more concerts with a live back up band. I know a extremely attractive, single, awesome, humble, friendly, kick-ass bass player. I'm sure he'd play in a heartbeat with you, any time. Maybe after his vacation you should jam with him?

7 More days until my vacation! Couldn't get here fast enough.

4 comments:

Nolto said...

It's funny that I didn't read this until now.
Because, earlier today, I had this exact discussion with Ryan. Whilst you were downstairs, and I was waiting for Tamara.

The answer is yes Cody; you had me at Seatbelts.

Unknown said...

Yoko Kanno is kickass. I love the 'Where Does This Ocean Go [ Dj Amaya Club Remix ]'. Morning Musume is ok. I prefer a heavier modern rock/pop like Tokyo Jihen ( listen to their recent single OSCA nowwww: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnsRoaKNqnc ).

Uh I dunno what the point of this comment was. I randomly found your blog while studying for my CMPT final. And I was like "oh, this person lives in Saskatoon too, better leave a comment of some sort."

...

Nolto said...

Tokyo Jihen is awesome.
But I might prefer Shiina Ringo's solo stuff better.

Toad008 said...

Of course I find all these notes on things I need to check out more of, on my first day back to work, and I forgot my headphones at home...

I guess I could listen to tunes through my phone speakers, but I suspect my co-workers wouldn't be fans of that.

Sidenote: Actual post coming soon? Today hopefully?