Thursday, July 5, 2007

Day 53

Sleeping is hard. It is too hot! We don't have air conditioning, and everything is just broiling. It is hurting my schedule somewhat. So I'm considering not using my bedroom. It's on the top floor of our house, which is the hottest. I might sleep in the basement on a couch instead. My alarm clock runs on batteries, so it's easy to move, and given when I sleep, I don't think my roomies would even notice.

I need to by some screens for my car, desperately. For my noon nap, it's not too bad, as I can park in the shade all morning, but come the 5 pm nap, My car is an oven. I have set up a thermometer / clock thing I got from a client in my car, just for a clock to see without turning the car on, and the temperature. When it sits in the sun, so slightly skewed, I've been trying to sleep in temperatures over 50 degrees C. Usually when it's in the shady parts of my car it's still registering close to 30 degrees. And we are just starting an even hotter snap (It's supposed to be +36 tomorrow!)

So the experiment I'm trying today is following: I froze a 4 liter milk jug full of water, so it's a reasonably large chunk of ice. I pulled it out of the deep freeze before work, and it has been sitting in my car all morning. When I go out to nap in 20 minutes, I'll see how much it's melted, and hopefully it'll help keep my car at a more reasonable temperature. I'm fairly optimistic. Except that I'm realizing I left it on the passengers seat, so I might be sleeping in a bit of a puddle... Opps.

I am extremely angry at the Canoe Club in town. I showed up for my Kayaking lesson Monday night, and met the other 4 people registered for the class, but the instructor never showed up. I haven't had a chance to talk to Mark, the coordinator yet, but I'm a little irate. Also, none of us could get the doors open either. They just put a new lock on the door, but it seems to be jammed, or somethings broke. Hopefully I can get a hold of Mark tonight to ask about rescheduling, and the door.

So I've been hunting for some contacts of polyphasic sleepers in Alberta. I can't find any. Why doesn't anyone in that province sleep funny? If you're an Albertan, and a polyphasic sleep, please let me know. I need some contacts there.

I think I'm starting to get more and more people interested in trying this crazy sleep schedule. I fully expect Roomie R to start it as soon as school starts up again. At the BBQ we had on Canada Day too, some other people were sounding somewhat interested in more information about it at least. I fully expect too, once this Edmonton Journal thing finishes to have some interested parties here in Saskatoon, and likely some Edmonton connections that will want some advice as well. Maybe I should look into co-ordinating a poly-phasic conference. I may want to start with an online conference format, as we're all fairly spread out all over the world. Try to get some people to speak about their experiences, network with other poly-phasic sleepers... May be good... Plus I could be scheduled to be Poly-phasic friendly! 30 minute breaks every 2 hours, so hopefully you can take your naps when you need them. And we could have panels going all night!

I think it's a good idea, but I really don't see it happening before Christmas. The sheer logistics of it all is a bit of a deterrent. Maybe I'll suggest that to the polyphasic google group...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good on ya for spreading the word. Hope it catches around :-).