Monday, May 21, 2007

End of Day 7

Well, I'm one week into this new sleep schedule. I'm still quite enjoying it. I have been a little disappointed the weather hasn't been nice, as I wanted to try to get in the habit of more walks and other exercise outside, but thems the breaks.

Last night I actually tried to sleep from 4-7, like the planned schedule is. I have been closer to 2:30 or 3 to 7 so far. Switching was a mistake. I am not quite ready for it yet. I was very very tired when I got up at 7 and ended up going back to sleep for another 1:30. So I think I'm going to stick with about 4 hours in that Core period for now.

I'm begun flexing some of my naps a little. On Sunday I has my noon nap at 10:30 instead, since I need to be somewhere for lunch. I was surprised at how well that worked. I wasn't tired when I laid down, but I put my cd on, and got some sleep. I didn't move my 5pm nap either, but I was very tired by the time it arrived. Some of the other naps have moved back and forth by about 30 minutes, without too much hassle or effect on my overall alertness or anything.

One of my current biggest concerns is my lack of good headphones. Currently to listen to my sleep cd I need to either be in my car, when my cd player is, or with my headset on my PC, on the futon. However, it's a little odd to have a bed upstairs that I'm only using about 3 hours a day. and also a little strange to walk out to my car for a nap while I'm at home. (although it is pretty comfortable there) So the solution I have decided on is to buy a new reasonable set of headphones to use with my ancient portable diskman, and make that my sleep hardware. Maybe this sleeping will be what I use to rationalize a purchase of an IPod. It's not too hard to convince myself I should get one. I should pick up a thin blanket that can actually cover my whole bodyIt'd be nice if I could get something that cn fold or roll up in some sort of little bag, so that it takes up less space in my car. Maybe a little pillow too. While I'm making a list of things I should get too, I need one of those face masks to cover my eyes when it's light out. Not sure where you even buy those. Maybe I'll hit walmart tomorrow or something.

Overall the weekend qent quite well for keeping my sleep schedule, but it was a less busy weekend. Next weekend will test it pretty good, as I will be trying more heavy drinking with this sleep schedule. I think it'll be interesting to see how much I can drink between say 9 and 11 to get quite drunk all night, but not too drunk so I can have a somewhat regular nap at 11. It's also a little odd to be planning to drive to a house party, that's within walking distance, just so I have a car there that I can sleep in for 30 minutes in the middle of the party. It should be fun explaining that to the people there who don't know me well too. It's hard enough explaining it to people who do know me well.

Other note: My long hair is becoming a bit of a nuisance to my napping. If I pull it back, I have a ponytail knot pushing in the back of my head, which is a little uncomfortable. If I don't pull it back, it ends up reasonably knotted and messy after a nap. Think about getting bed head not only when you wake up in the morning, but every 5 hours. As much as I'd rather not, I might have to go get my hair cut short again.

Well off to watch some TV before bed. I am enjoying the extra time I am getting in a day, but I'm not taking advantage of too much of it with any of the big tasks I wanted to accomplish yet. I'm mostly reading more, and watching more tv programs I've been intending to for awhile. Once the weather changes though I hope that will change.

That said, anyone live in the South East side, and interested in going for a walk every other day during the week at about 2am? No?

No comments: