Monday, June 4, 2007

Day 22

Time for more updates!
So Sunday, I skipped my noon nap. I think that would have normally been a pretty bad plan, as I get pretty exhausted when I'm close to nap time. It worked ok for me though, largely I think due to the fact I spent my weekend sleeping. (Not monophasic, or polyphasic, just all the time) Once the 5pm nap came around though, I was pretty dead tired. I think I'll have to work pretty hard to force the schedule to get back on track, as it's a little odd yet, but I don't anticipate it being overly difficult.

This morning, Day 22. Waking up and gettting out of bed after my core is still the most difficult thing about this sleep schedule. I've done quite well at getting out of bed, but it is oh so tempting to just roll over and go to sleep. I am always extremely tired when I first hear the alarm. Once I get out of bed, after about 10 minutes of trying to make some breakfast, I'm fine. Fully awake and all. I need to change something about my morning routine to make that waking up easier. Maybe if I force myself out of bed right away and go for a 10 minute jog or something that would help wake me up. Or get in the habit of making a delicious big cup of black tea as soon as I wake up, instead of waiting until I get into work. I'll have to experiment with that over the upcoming weeks. Any suggestions anyone?

A friend of mine expressed interest in hearing more of what I have been doing with all my new found time. So I will try to discuss it a little. I am at work, so I should probally be a little brief... Currently, I'm spending my extra time doing a whole lot of nothing. I can't really think of any big thing I've accomplished since the switch. As it is I've been watching some Anime series I've been intending to, and finished 1 or 2. I have been taking the occaisional walk, and now that the weather is good again, I hope to take more of those. I made buns once, but they didn't turn out spectacular, so I'm holding out on another batch until I can find my cookbook, and try some other recipes. I've been reading a bit more, working on finishing Dracula finally, and The God Delusion as well. I've also become an active member in the polyphasic sleep community. I've been coding some templates and trying to gather some information to put into the new polyphasic wiki. And because I'm a gamer, I've been playing some games at all hours of the night. Even virtual worlds are reasonably empty at those hours, and it's been a great time to get some things done in otherwise busy areas. Oh, and I've also just started working on my Japanese. I took some courses in it once upon a time, and I'm quite rusty, so I'm working on polishing it up, and learning a bunch more vocabulary. My written Japanese needs a ton of work too.

So it looks like I've been accomplishing more than I thought, when I actually put it all down. Amazing how some of the little things just add up. I have to remember that I've only been doing this for 3 weeks, and I wrote off productivity fo rthe first stretch, as I was unsure how tired I'd be.

Big ones still on my todo list: I really need to write up a Bio to give to some of the musicians I play with. I've been hounded for it, but just never get around to it. I don't like blowing my own horn (I play strings! Ba boom chick). I think it would only take a night or two to actually put one together. I definitely should finish that before Jazz Festival though. I also have not started doing any work with the code I intend to use for a hobby software project that is in the design phase. And has been in the design phase for a couple years now. Maybe by putting those here, I'll be more motivated to do them. I'll look like an idiot if I don't. Oh, and I need to look into finishing my degree via classes, and correspondence.

Should probally get back to work though. I do need to accomplish things here too.

1 comment:

Rafael Augusto said...

I was looking for a solution to my always short schedule and find the topic about polyphasic sleep, the http://polyphasicsleep.info/ portal and finally your blog. :D

I'm planning to start the adaptation process in the 1st or 2nd week of July and the experiences that you share on the blog are very important because they allow me to estimate how much effort I will need to put on this.

(Please, feel free to point my english errors, I'm learning german and sometimes I get confused)