Thursday, June 7, 2007

My Schedule and Work

One of the very positive aspects of missing that nap yesterday for the BBQ was a raised awareness of my sleep schedule from everyone at work. They actually got to see me tired, and are now a lot more accomidating about my nap times. I'm not fun to work with when I'm tired. Some of the engineers I am in contact with too now know not to call me around noon, as I'm asleep. I do have to put up with some friendly banter about it, but it's pretty easy to take it all in stride when I start talking about all the things I did the day previous, after work.

One of the interesting comments I get is everyone mentions surprise that I'm awake at any given time. Yeah, I have to run off for naps on occaision, but I am awake more time in a day than you hibernating folk. Plus, only one nap fall during the work day, and it's over lunch. It's just as likely to miss someone since they are out on a lunch break.

It's also fun to talk about it. A large number of people find it amazing, or insane, but some surprisingly have heard about. One of the engineers I work with seemed to have a surprising knowledge of it, which I do not expect from anyone in this province. I really enjoy the start of the discussions. One of my co-workers asks me if I'm getting pretty tired, since I'm missing a nap, and everyone else at the table laughs, and I seriously reply, yeah, I'm thinking about ducking out for 20 minutes pretty quick. Then they all look surprised, and shocked, as they realize I'm serious.

I can't imagine what it's like for some of my more remote friends, if they talk about it. I may have secured my Crazy uncle/ co-worker / friend / freak title with this experiment.

No comments: